What you need
For the topping
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp melted butter
50g porridge oats
For the muffins
140g Plain flour
85g soft brown sugar
100g grated carrot (Approx 1 large carrot)
100g porridge oats
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
200ml buttermilk (OR milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice)
3 tbsp melted butter
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g finely chopped dried apricots
zest of 2 oranges
1 beaten egg
Juice of 1 orange
pinch of salt
Optional: 50g chopped roasted hazelnuts & 1 tbsp poppy seeds.
1. Preheat oven to 200c/ gas 6.
To make the topping - Mix together the sugar, oats and melted butter. Sprinkle the mixture onto a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, then leave to cool.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar in a bowl. Add the optional nuts & poppy seeds, carrot, apricots, cinnamon, oats and orange zest. Mix well.
3. In a seperate bowl, use a spoon to mix the buttermilk, beaten egg, salt and orange juice. Pour this onto the dry mixture.
4. Stir the two mixtures together using a spoon. Do not over mix and this will knock out the air. The lumpier the mixture the better!
5. Place 12 paper cases into a muffin tray. Spoon the mixture into the cases, filling them 2/3's full.
6. Sprinkle the crumbly topping over the muffins. Bake them for 25-30 minutes until well risen and golden. Leave to cool.
Delicious with a cup of tea (or milk for the kiddies ;-)